Workbox 1.5 is here. But since we have change a couple of things (the most invasive one is the change of feature scope - from site collection feature to site feature) upgrade should be taken with a bit of care.
Before you start we recommend reading the "Upgrading..." chapter from installation instruction.We also recommend reading this page about new features.
This is the recommended upgrade scenario:
- Download Workbox 1.5 from here.
- If you do not want to turn on the Workbox feature on all sites of chosen web application please note the sites where you want to turn the Workbox feature.
- NOTE: Uninstalling and installing Workbox will cause the workflow actions to be unavailable. Make sure to perform the upgrade when users are not using Workbox workflows.Expected downtime is around 15 minutes.
- Go to the location where you have your Workbox setup files (c:\program files\datapolis\workbox setup by default).
- Run setup.exe and choose the "remove" option.
- Do the IIS reset.
- Run the new installer
- Extract the files to Workbox setup 1.5 folder (or someplace different than the old setup files).
- Run the setup.
- Select the web applications. If you do not want to turn on the feature automaticaly, uncheck the checkbox.
- Run IIS reset after the setup (machine restart recommended).
If you do not follow the above steps and just select the "upgrade" option in the installer you can expect 2 things:
- your machine might (but does not have to) cache the DLL's which may lead to some strange behavior (deployment problems, workflow stopping after start and lack of workflow actions)
- Workbox site feature will not be activated anywhere, so you will have to activate it manually on every site.
- Q: How will new version change my workflows?
- A: We tried to make the new version as much backwards compatible as possible. There were some areas where it was impossible (for example the "BR" tags in mail messages). Generally your workflows should work without any problems with the new version, users will have a little different (better) experience with action launch form. The only thing that might work differently are the e-mails - you might lose some line spacing there. Please see the "What's new" article in Workbox help or on this page and help for the "Import/Export" and the "Launch form"
- Q: Won't the uninstall destroy my workflows?
- A: No. The workflows that are already running will not be affected by the uninstall. The only problem that might occur is with new workflow starting during the uninstallation or the users launching some actions. Also users will not be able to use the workflows until the new version is installed. We recommend doing the upgrade when no one is using Workbox workflows
- Q: I don't like the new functionality/something went wrong. Can I roll back?
- A: Yes, you can. Simply use the new installer to deinstall version 1.5 and resintall the version you had previously.